[RFC] Sub-surface protocol and implementation v1

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 23:50:15 PST 2013

Hi John,

thanks for the comments, I have some more questions about your
suggestions.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:56:47 +0100
John Kåre Alsaker <john.kare.alsaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we started a discussion about sub-surfaces in Wayland in [1].
> >
> > There are still many open questions, ranging from implementation
> > details I noted in code comments and commit messages, to heavy protocol
> > additions like clipping. Some of the open questions are:
> > - how should commits work in parent vs. sub-surfaces?
> Commit should work the same way. It should commit itself and all it's
> children. Furthermore it should commit all reordering of it's
> immediate children.

Could you give some rationale why this is preferred to any other way,
for instance sub-surface commit needing a main surface commit to apply
all the pending state?

Collecting the reasons why some method should be preferred is
important, even if they are somehow obvious, so we can choose.

> > - do we allow nested sub-surfaces?
> Yes, this makes it easier for client code to cooperate. If a library
> wants to use subsurfaces it shouldn't need any special handling with
> the application to achieve that. It also allows clients to commit a
> group of sub-surfaces by using a dummy parent.

Do you mean a library creates a dummy sub-surface as a parent for other
sub-surfaces it creates, so it can commit then all in one go?

How would we implement the dummy parent? There is no concept of a dummy
surface in the protocol yet, and currently mapping a sub-surface
depends on mapping the immediate parent.

I believe breaking this mapping requirement chain would require a lot
more complex rules on what is mapped and when. OTOH, creating a dummy
surface with e.g. attaching a 1-pixel 100% transparent wl_buffer is in
my opinion a hack to be reserved for cases where we simply cannot change
the protocol anymore. We are now designing the protocol for the first
time, so let's try to avoid such workarounds to begin with.

Do you have a use case for this?

As for nesting in itself, it would be simple to just allow it, I think,
and I have not found any good reason to forbid it yet.

> > - do we want a completely orthogonal interface for clipping and scaling,
> >   or should it be limited to sub-surfaces?
> Clipping and/or scaling should work for all kinds of surfaces. I don't
> see any reason to limit it to sub-surfaces.

Yeah, I have a feeling it would make sense as an orthogonal interface.
It will be a huge change in any case, since surface size cannot be
determined by a wl_buffer alone anymore.

Regarding sub-surfaces, there is the question of whether clipping
should be controlled within the sub-surface update-commit cycle or
decoupled from it, for instance a video overlay driven by an autonomous
decoding library where the application needs to clip it; does it need
to communicate clipping to the library, set clipping on its own, or
always commit every video frame. Positioning the sub-surface wrt. to
the window is up for the application, so clipping might be as well.
Hence clipping may have some interactions with sub-surfaces, and I
don't know how any existing software does it.

> > - should we forbid reparenting?
> > - should sub-surface role be revertible, instead of permanent?
> I see this as a nice source for race conditions, although it may turn
> out to be useful.

Maybe I should follow the other existing cases, that is cursor
surfaces, and maybe d&d had a role in use, too, for the drag icon.

> > - should a sub-surface be restricted to its parent's area?
> It should not, especially since we don't have a good way to define the
> parent area. Dummy surfaces whose only purpose is to hold sub-surfaces
> depend on them not being restricted to the non-existing parent area.

Right now I agree, parent area is indeed a problematic concept in the
core protocol, since we have uses for completely transparent areas.
Another reason is to be able to compose a window from adjacent,
non-overlapping, surfaces.

> > [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-December/006623.html
> > [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-December/006837.html
> > [3] http://people.collabora.com/~pq/subsurface-1.png

> Sub-surfaces should also be able to get keyboard focus, no special
> case is required for that. We should also make sure that dummy
> surfaces without any attached buffers, but only sub-surfaces work
> correctly with or without a input region.

Yes, I am fixing the keyboard focus thing right now. I did the server
part, but now fixing toytoolkit to work right with it is a heavy task.

Sorry? I didn't quite get what you meant by the latter sentence.

Oh, and about using dummy surfaces: mapping is a concept related to the
shell. It is left for the shell to define when mapping happens. I think
this might be a bit unclearly specified currently. I'm not sure "dummy"
could be synonymous to "not mapped" surface, and interacting between
core and shell protocol like this to excercise a core protocol feature
(committing simultaneously several sub-surfaces) feels messy to me.

Hm, maybe instead of a dummy surface, a library could just use the
given wl_surface as the parent for any other sub-surfaces it might want
to create. Would this be enough?