Creating a Window Manager to use Wayland (that's not in C)

Kristof saposcat at myopera.com
Tue Jan 8 17:01:35 PST 2013

  On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:50:15 -0800, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe the EGL bits, if you plan to support hardware accelerated
>> graphics on clients, but I think that's optional. Hardware accelerated
>> clients will basically give you an EGLImage in the server, which you
>> usually turn into GL textures.
>>
>> As for the language bindings, this might be of interest to comment on:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-December/006861.html
>>

>> Thanks,
>> pq
>
> Kristof,
> I'm currently working on something similar in Java for the Android
> platform.  I'm getting close to the point where I >can throw my java
> binding code up on GitHub in case that's helpful.  I'd love to see some
> of your thoughts on >language bindings.  Haskell in particular would
> provide a different perspective on language binding that could prove
> >very useful.  I also suggest you check out the link in pq's e-mail.
> --Jason Ekstrand

To Pekka Paalanen: I'm quite new at graphical programming and I think I'd
rather just use straight Cairo to avoid headaches. Thank you for the link
to that email, though, it was quite helpful. =)

To Jason Ekstrand: In this email:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000238.html
Høgsberg instead suggests to use the XML protocol instead of generating
bindings directly to the C code. Why did you take the route you did?

Also, my opinion is rather irrelevant because I'm certainly not a Haskell
guru and couldn't possibly have anything to contribute! Yes, once you post
the Java bindings on GitHub, I would very much appreciate a notice on this
mailing list to let everyone know.

Oh, and lastly, I would ask you if you think it's better to simply bind
the C library itself or do something else?