Mplayer build guide fixes, and gstreamer guide

Konno, Joe joe.konno at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 17 07:19:27 PST 2013

Artie is correct. As of writing, gstreamer-vaapi is dependent on the
gstreamer-0.10 protocol and components installed by gst-plugins-bad. I
have been compiling and using gstreamer-0.10 and gstreamer-vaapi for the
past few months.

Though not directly related, Robster submitted a backport patch to
upstream gst-plugins-bad for `waylandsink`, which was committed to the
0.10 branch in late November.[1] The gst-plugins-bad `waylandsink` now
supports the Wayland 1.0 protocol on gstreamer master, 1.0, and 0.10
branches.

In case it helps, I build-- all on 0.10 branches-- gstreamer,
gst-plugins-[base,good,bad], gstreamer-vaapi, and gst-ffmpeg. In that order.

The container specified in the example pipeline has a 'webm' prefix, so
presumably it contains a VP8 video stream. In order to use a `vaapisink`
pipeline, you must query the VA-API driver (with `vainfo`) to ensure the
video stream (in this case, VP8) is supported by your VA-API driver. I
use H264 streams (Big Buck Bunny or Sintel) to exercise the vaapisink on
my systems, since H264 acceleration is supported. For streams not
supported by your VA-API driver, you will need to investigate an
alternative pipeline. I believe the libva mailing list could help you there.

[1] gst-plugins-bad: commit 27bd971b743067bce607809e0a5cb26eab5c69a9

Cheers, hth