What is your opinion about adding scale support for subsurface?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 23:56:28 PDT 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:34:03 +0000
"Wu, Zhiwen" <zhiwen.wu at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi pq,
> I didn't meet you at the IRC today for the time zone issue. So I send this mail.
> Our team are using subsurface to display the video within application UI. It works fine, but there is a common requirement on the video playback case, that is scaling. We would like to extend subsurface interface to support scaling the buffer on compositor side, instead of client side. What is your opinion about this?

Hi,

I already had a first go on that a while back:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-April/008927.html

Notice, how it is not a wl_subsurface addition, but an independent
extension. This way scaling and cropping can be applied to all
wl_surfaces, not just sub-surfaces, and it is independent of
sub-surface support.

I would strongly suggest to go through that thread and see my and
Daniel Stone's replies to the comments. There were quite some
differing opinions on how it should work. It would be nice to hear,
how my proposal fits your use cases.

A new, unexplored issue is how it will interact with the hidpi support.

I'm currently on vacation for two more weeks, so I won't be giving
much input on the matter.

HTH,