wl_scaler (Re: wayland-devel Digest, Vol 34, Issue 44)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 03:23:57 PDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:11:54 +0800
Juan Zhao <juan.j.zhao at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Hi pq,
>
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:14:36 -0700
> wayland-devel-request at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:34:03 +0000
> > "Wu, Zhiwen" <zhiwen.wu at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi pq,
> > > I didn't meet you at the IRC today for the time zone issue. So I
> > > send this mail. Our team are using subsurface to display the video
> > > within application UI. It works fine, but there is a common
> > > requirement on the video playback case, that is scaling. We would
> > > like to extend subsurface interface to support scaling the buffer
> > > on compositor side, instead of client side. What is your opinion
> > > about this?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already had a first go on that a while back:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-April/008927.html
>
> This sounds interesting. And I just saw the protocol part here, is
> there any further implementation for this wl_scaler implementation?

Hi Juan,

no, not yet, it was just a protocol RFC to get an idea. I may have
few changes to it not posted to the list, but I won't get to them
until next week. And the interaction with the surface/output scale
(HiDPI) really needs to be figured out.

I don't mind if someone takes a shot at this, since I'm still away
for a week, and uncertain of my immediately following schedule.

I'm not aware of anyone else working on it, but then I have been
pretty ignorant of Wayland discussions in the recent weeks.