Compositor for eink device

Claudius Marpa Heine claudius.marpa.heine at student.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Jun 10 23:44:15 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

for my master thesis in computer science I am looking into implementing
a wayland-compositor for eink devices (specifically for a Kobo Glo
Reader I own).  For the record I am currently only looking into it, so
no promises ;)

Someone from the mobileread forum already implemented a open source java
replacement for the environment [1].  He used the native einkfb library
[2] to write into the eink framebuffer.

I would like to have a "normal" compositor and shell to be able to run
gtk or qt applications on the eink device.  I already looked over the
weston code and I think that all I have to do is to make a fork of
framebuffer compositor where I add eink support and to implement a
tablet shell for this device class.

I don't have experience in this field (eink and compositors), but here
are some issues I am currently thinking of:
1. eink display should only repaint if something changed and only with a
limited fps (if someone get the crazy idea to watch videos with it)
2. repainting should only happen to the area/pixels that changed and
every x times repainting the whole display.
3. There are many different eink devices with out there. Is there a
possibility to write an abstraction layer?

When rendering works I would start working on a tablet shell.

Do you have some constructive comments/ideas?
Do you think this idea is realizable within a master thesis for a
beginner like me?

Regards
Claudius

[1] http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196994