Compositor for eink device

Claudius Marpa Heine claudius.marpa.heine at student.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Jun 11 03:28:21 PDT 2013

Am Dienstag, den 11.06.2013, 12:38 +0300 schrieb Pekka Paalanen:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:44:15 +0200
> Claudius Marpa Heine <claudius.marpa.heine at student.uni-augsburg.de>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Claudius,
>
> that is a very cool idea for a project!

Thank, I like to hear that ;)

> > Someone from the mobileread forum already implemented a open source java
> > replacement for the environment [1].  He used the native einkfb library
> > [2] to write into the eink framebuffer.
>
> Ok, looks like fbdev with some extended ioctls.
>
> > I would like to have a "normal" compositor and shell to be able to run
> > gtk or qt applications on the eink device.  I already looked over the
> > weston code and I think that all I have to do is to make a fork of
> > framebuffer compositor where I add eink support and to implement a
> > tablet shell for this device class.
>
> Yes, starting from compositor-fbdev.c is the way to go.
>
> Note, that if you go with tablet-shell, then all toolkits need to
> specifically have support for it.

Do you mean that qt, gtk, efl, etc. which already have support for
wayland don't work with the tablet-shell and there is no way of
compiling it with support?
And the desktop-shell don't support touch input and has to be broken
apart to build a more tablet style UI.
That's misfortune.

How difficult could it be to add touch input into the desktop-shell?

Under this circumstances maybe I should take a deeper lock into
qt-wayland.

> > When rendering works I would start working on a tablet shell.
> >
> > Do you have some constructive comments/ideas?
>
> Is the input exposed as standard evdev input devices? Is there udev?

Yes it's a standard evdev device and udev is available. So input, I
thought until now, would not be a problem.

> We have been craving for a good example of a completely different
> shell than the desktop oriented ones, to make a point of what shells
> actually are supposed to be. If you could make that point, that would
> be brilliant!

I'm happy to be of service ;)
(If I find a professor willing to supervise my thesis)
Claudius