weston and hardware keyboard

Marc Chalain marc.chalain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:17:50 PDT 2013

Hello,
One problem in embedded world is that people want the same thing with a PC.
Two solutions are available :
 - first we create from scratch every things. Then the software works fine
on the target but it's the "wild west"... :-) and it's bad for the
innovation.
 - second we use libraries from PC world and we have computer-phones
(smartphones have 5 years old, now), and we return to the "wild west" for a
lot of projects (some time big projects) with small target.
The embedded world has to continue in "wild west" mode because many
important projects think in PC mode. The Linux kernel project and the wild
west try to find a solution (Linaro as example), but for the rest anything
isn't done. In my opinion it's surprising, because the biggest market of
Linux is the embedded wold ( the "wild west" ). In embedded software the
main display server is ... none (perhaps surface-flinger with android but
android is farer and farer to the embedded world).
Wayland could replace the direct use of the frame buffer, but for that the
CORE of wayland has to stay the smallest.
In my opinion, the features have to be optionals, to keep a small footprint
and a fast integration if it's needed.
libxkbcommon is feature, and should stay out side the core of wayland and
weston. After if clients need a complete support of PC keyboard, they can
use libxkbcommon, it's normal to find it inside "clients" directory of
weston.
Best regards,
Marc.