Ubuntu announced their own display server project: Mir

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 4 15:13:41 PST 2013

On 03/04/2013 07:31 PM, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Not based on X or Wayland.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec#Why_Not_Wayland_.2BAC8_Weston.3F
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTMxNzI

Interesting. And slightly depressing.

Interesting because I doubt they would've dared launch that project
unless wayland had proven it possible to quickly come up with a
compositor that works.

Depressing because they really could've added the features they
want/need in wayland. If nothing else, just forking wayland and
remodeling the parts that don't fit their usecase rather than doing
it all from scratch would've been better for everyone.

I guess they got hit by the NDH syndrome pretty hard, or they just
want the bragging rights for conferences when they launch it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.