Non-Intel DDXes need love

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Thu Mar 7 09:51:33 PST 2013

These:
https://github.com/RAOF/xf86-video-ati -b xwayland (Radeon / AMD)
https://github.com/RAOF/xf86-video-nouveau -b xwayland (Nvidia)

Instructions here should be up to date:
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

Except the nvidia / nouveau stuff needs this:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-February/007370.html
And probably something like this:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?h=xwayland&id=1f2427f562f93efdd6447217f41ec378279d189c

RAOF says after that, the nvidia / nouveau DDX should be ready to commit
upstream.  He submitted it before, when these two patches weren't required,
but it didn't get committed, probably just due to insufficient nagging.

RAOF also says the radeon / amd / ati ddx needs some work: "ATI still
needs cleanup - from memory, specifically around the multi-monitor case."
But I don't think this is a reason not to submit it upstream?  I haven't
found any xwayland problems specific to radeon while using it (without
using multi-monitor).

Also, it would be nice if there was a DDX that was hardware independent
like wlshm, but with hardware acceleration.  Glamor has come up a few
times when talking about this:

09:31 < ickle> such as st/xa or glamor
09:33 < pq> also, http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Glamor
21:46 < RAOF> Darxus: Using gbm + glamour?
09:28 < pq> GriffenJBS, no, unless you get your X to work with GLAMOR.
15:41 < krh> and add optionaly glamor acceleration to it
15:42 < krh> glamor is an egl/gles2 acceleration project
15:54 < krh> vignatti: xwayland support in xf8-video-intel is still useful, but it would be good to have a generic ddx that supports wayland, either with shm and sw rendering or egl+glamor

The DDXes have a lot of similarity, and the Intel one is kept up to date,
so you can probably use that as a reference for a lot.

--
"As humans, we are taught to forget that we are animals."
- forward to Johnny The Homicidal Maniac