Support XDG_RUNTIME_DIR being unset

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu27 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 10:43:07 PDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 06:12 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 11 de março de 2013 17.10.53, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>> The XDG base directory specification[1] says that "If $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
>> is not set applications should fall back to a replacement directory
>> with similar capabilities and print a warning message."
>>
>> Currently we abort if XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set. The following patches
>> fall back to ~/.cache, as GLib does.
>
> Which relevant and recent distribution does not set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR?

Debian doesn't by default (you can use systemd or upstart, but sysvinit is the
default init system). Probably others, as well as *BSDs (some people are
interested in porting wayland to them).

While it would be nice if sysvinit et al supported XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, and even
though I plan on switching to systemd, wayland is still not following the spec.

Regards,
Emilio