server side callback

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 03:51:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:22:00 +0100
Giulio Camuffo <giuliocamuffo at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/3/12 Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net>:
> >
> > I'd love to offer some thoughts on the more general drag-and-drop
> > problem if you want to give a more detailed description.
> > Specifically, I read some of the conversation on IRC today, but I'm
> > not sure I understand why the dropped event is needed.  That said, I
> > may not be the best one to help you as I don't know the wayland D&D
> > system that well, I'd mostly just be helping brainstorm.
>
> When starting a drag, the source Qt app goes into a loop. It can still
> redraw itself and get the events, but it is waiting for the dnd to
> finish before going on with what it was doing. So i need a
> notification, when the target has got the drop, which lets the source
> client exit the loop and go on. If the source doesn't get this
> notification it won't exit the loop and will be stuck. Besides, the
> source needs it also to be able to free its wl_data_source.

A stupid question: why can't the source application simply close the
pipe, destroy the wl_data_source, and continue after it has written all
the data into the pipe? It already has to poll the pipe for writable,
so I think it should be able to detect also things like the receiver
aborting by closing the pipe fd. And receiver would poll and continue
reading until it gets EOF. Would it work like that?

Could closing one end of the pipe be gracefully detected on the other
side, so one would not have to have more Wayland protocol?