[RFC] add a shutdown event

Gregory Merchan gregory.merchan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:28:07 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Hardening <rdp.effort at gmail.com> wrote:
> . . .
> I still think it's a good thing for clients to know when the compositor
> is shutting down cleanly. In the present situation, we have the
> following cases:
> * the compositor crashes: from the client point of view the socket
> disconnect and it's the end of the show (at least with all actions that
> involve the compositor)
> * the compositor exits cleanly (ctrl+alt+backspace or software request):
> the client will receive series of "global_remove" events but without
> knowing if it's part of hotplug system, or if it's a clean shutdown
>
> I think explicit is better than implicit and that the clients should be
> notified of this very special event: the compositor shutdown.

I think the more important idea for applications is a user's session
which could persist absent the compositor. The case of a clean
shutdown could be the end or suspension of a session, which would be
indicated by the same session manager which presumably triggered the
compositor shutdown. A crashed compositor might be restarted by the
session manager or at least reconnect to it, in which case the session
manager could signal to other programs that they should establish a
new connection.

It has been my understanding that session management would not be
driven by Wayland.