Auto key repeat in wayland.

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:13:23 PDT 2013

Yichao Yu wrote:

> I am just wondering if those clients also don't want auto-repeat for
> text input. If there is a way to turn off auto-repeat for a client,
> should that also turn off the auto-repeat when the input method grab
> the keyboard from the client?

That is a good point, the input method api may need to indicate if the
insertion is due to a repeated key, if it is possible to unambiguously
identify this. Then the client can ignore it and not do the insertion.

Isn't this sometimes done by password fields and some other small input
fields? It may also be useful if the insertion is an error, in that it
will only beep or flash on the first one, rather than blinking
repeatedly if the user holds the key down.