surface buffer cardinality and outputs

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:41:00 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:09:48 -0400
> Jerome Glisse <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:32 AM, RenoX <renozyx at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > And you(Jerome Glisse) replied:
>> >
>> > I disagree: currently Weston move windows server side only, that is to say
>> > without roundtrip,
>> > if you want to be 'subpixel perfect' then moving a window imply to re-render
>> > it from the client, which will add a lot of roundtrip in this case.
>> >
>> > So the current design is 'pixel perfect', but not 'subpixel perfect', and
>> > cannot be without big changes..
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > renoX
>>
>> What i propose is an extension ie application can still render non
>> subpixel and can still render non subpixel when moving/resizing. Note
>> also that moving a window around is not so much different then
>> resizing a window in which case wayland will round trip with the
>> client. So really if a client want subpixel rendering at all time it
>> just add roundtrip in the window is moving case.
>
> The server can also move surfaces on its own, without the client
> initiating the move. This is move by hotkey. Therefore you would
> incur at least one extra roundtrip during the beginning of such move.
>
>> Again i stress it's not a lot of roundtrip it's the same amount of
>> roundtrip as with resize window.
>
> Resize is actually a huge deal. It is very very heavy. At least I
> do not want to incur the same penalty to moving, now that using a
> compositor has finally made moving a very cheap operation.
>
>> Change i propose are not big, it's a fairly small contained change, i
>> will try to hack something over the weekend.
>
> This discussion is has lead me to conclude, that it is
> near-impossible to reliably support and present sub-pixel rendering
> in general without telling clients where their surfaces are on an
> output.
>
> Not telling clients where their surfaces are has been a major
> design decision in Wayland this far, so it seems Wayland is somewhat
> incompatible with the concept of sub-pixel rendering. Feasible
> cases are limited to just some special cases, where the output
> device has a translation-invariant pixel pattern, and the
> compositor does not apply any other transformations than
> translation.
>
> With that in mind, I think it's ok to enable sub-pixel rendering
> where it is feasible, but I would not expose surface positions or
> transformations to clients for it.
>
> Therefore I'd simply propose for compositors to advertise outputs
> with sub-pixel order as unknown or none, unless the output is known
> to be translation invariant and surfaces are only translated.
>

> Thanks,
> pq

I still believe that my proposal is totally doable and does not break
wayland paradigm. I should stress that the compositor (wayland server)
is always in charge that means that the compositor can decide to not
ping pong with the application while moving the window but only update
the transformation matrix and ask for a redraw from client once the
window no longer move.

Window being move or resized is not typical usage of desktop, by that
i means user is not going to constantly move its window or resize
them, it happens seldomly during a session. That being said i stress
again that the compositor is in charge and if it want each frame
sub-pixel perfect it could ask for a redraw by the application, or it
could just wait for the window to reach its final position as attended
by the user and then send the matrix and ask for new sub-pixel perfect
content.

You can get both, autonomous compositor window move (with no client
communication) and sub-pixel perfect rendering on non moving window.

My point here is that i would hate for an api that just encompass
special cases, while transmitting the transformation matrix as long as
providing per output dpi/geometry informations would allow to handle
any case we could ever face.

Cheers,
Jerome