Compiz is Dead - Beryl Lives Again? Enter - Northfield/Norwood

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 11:00:35 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 02:43:27AM -0600, Scott Moreau wrote:
> What Northfield *is not*
> - A fork that will change protocol in fundamental ways that diverts
> from the wayland EGL spec
> - A project that aims to cause divisions in the community or the Linux
> Desktop code
> - A project that breaks core wayland protocol in unrepairable ways
> - Diverting significantly from wayland
> - An unfriendly 'takeover'
> - Unnecessary
>
> The key point to understand is, that this is not a new protocol in its
> own right. It *is* the wayland protocol, with a few minor additions
> that make it possible to do new interesting things. It uses the same
> EGL drivers in Mesa implementing the wayland-egl specification. This
> will not change. Northfield will always use the same driver stack as
> wayland. The difference is, that I now have the time to dedicate to
> being a (hopefully very) responsive maintainer.

Then fork Weston and leave Wayland alone.

More and different and better compositors have always been expected. Forking
the wayland libs itself is just creating confusion and giving yourself the
opportunity to break the protocol (which is extensible by default, and Weston
already adds features to it).

This is just making a mess after Canonical has already confused things with
Mir. I'm already cringing at the thought of how Phoronix is going to cover this.

--CJD