Clarifying scope and goals for weston

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:59:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Kristian Høgsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:03:16PM -0700, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
>> On 04/18/2013 12:04 AM, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>> >On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Kristian Høgsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Toolkit type scenegraphs
> (QML, Clutter) has a lot of flexibility that tend to get in the way
> when trying to reason about occlusion and coverage.  Bandwidth saving
> optimizations such as clipping obscured damage or splitting the
> surfaces into opaque and transparent primitives just seem out of reach
> when you have to deal with general 3D objects and punch through
> several layers of abstractions.

This is true.

I don't really think that providing rendering libraries would make a
whole lot of sense for existing scene graphs. But it would make sense
for other window managers which don't currently provide any kind of
compositing story at all.

Perhaps this is worth doing some prototyping around to see what does
and does not make sense to split out? I'll put my hand up to
volunteer, but my time is pretty limited these days so I'm not so sure
how much I will be able to put into it.

--
Sam Spilsbury