Input and games.

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri May 3 09:09:22 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 19 April 2013 10:18, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Keyboards already have extensive mapping capabilities. A Wayland server
> sends keycodes (I forget in which space exactly) and a keymap, and
> clients feed the keymap and keycodes into libxkbcommon, which
> translates them into something actually useful. Maybe something similar
> could be invented for game controllers? But yes, this is off-topic for
> Wayland, apart from the protocol of what event codes and other data to
> pass.

It's worth noting that the only reason libxkbcommon exists is because
there's just no way to express it generically.  People want to have
Cyrillic and US keymaps active where Ctrl + W triggers 'close window'
regardless of which keymap's active.  But if they have Cyrillic, US
and Icelandic Dvorak active, they want Ctrl + W to trigger for Ctrl +
(wherever W is in Icelandic Dvorak) when in Icelandic Dvorak, and Ctrl
+ W when it's in Cyrillic and US.  And so on, and so forth.

If it was possible to just use wl_text all the way, I would never have
written that bastard library.  But you can't win them all.

Cheers,
Daniel