Gamepad focus model (Re: Input and games.)

Rick Yorgason rick at firefang.com
Wed May 8 14:25:05 PDT 2013

Bill Spitzak <spitzak at ...> writes:
> If the gamepad can move the pointer then I think the buttons should go
> to the pointer focus.

I think if the gamepad is emulating a pointer, it should go all the way and
send wl_pointer events.

I believe this is perfectly workable with the proposed design. The
compositor could simply use the gamepad to emulate a mouse and aggregate the
results into wl_pointer. If an active surface has created a wl_gamepad
object, it suspends aggregation for that device.

Whether or not you'll like the results is another matter. A joystick is a
terrible way of controlling a cursor. Although I have used such a setup to
control the "next track" button in a music player on a computer across the
room, only because I didn't have a wireless mouse on hand.

-Rick-