Axis events to keyboard focus (Re: Input and games.)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri May 10 11:44:45 PDT 2013

Peter Hutterer wrote:

>> Because C1 has the gamepad open, the pointer is no longer shared,
>> and it thus acts exactly like the pointer is only controlled by the
>> mouse. There is no gp-controlled pointer.
>
> this makes C1 a pointer-trap, similar to qemu's behaviour under X. if you
> accidentally move onto the surface, you cannot escape unless you change the
> physical device to move the pointer. less than ideal, imo

I think you are confused about what I am proposing.

Imagine there is a mouse and a gamepad. During normal use the user can
take either device and move the pointer, and all buttons on them which
are reported to the client with pointer focus.

Then client C1 "opens" the gamepad somehow. Now only the mouse moves the
pointer, the gamepad does not move it. Buttons on the mouse are reported
to the pointer focus, but buttons on the gamepad are reported to C1.

Moving the pointer around with the mouse does not cause a pointer-trap,
the mouse will work exactly as though there was no gamepad at all.