[RFC] libinputmapper: Input device configuration for graphic-servers

Todd Showalter todd at electronjump.com
Sun May 12 15:29:46 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what is the proposed solution?
> My recommendation is, that compositors still search for devices via
> udev and use device drivers like libxkbcommon. So linux evdev handling
> is still controlled by the compositor. However, I'd like to see
> something like my libinputmapper proposal being used for device
> detection and classification.

[8<]

    I could work with this.  Right now I'm somewhat tackling the whole
problem head-on; I've got a server with an inotify watch on /dev/input
that binds a udp port.  Connect to the udp port, get a stream of
events for all devices the server cares about (which in my case is
gamepads), with suitable remapping.

    The idea isn't necessarily to do things precisely that way, it's
more a proof of concept tool; it's easy enough to replace the udp
socket with a fifo or just jack it in to something as a back-end.
Likewise, it could just be processing data streams rather than dealing
directly with /dev/input.  The remapping could also be sourced out to
your library.

    I haven't had as much time to devote to it as I'd like, but I'm
hoping I can get the code up soon.

                                      Todd.

--
 Todd Showalter, President,