minimized and stick windows

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:22:32 PDT 2013

Alexander Preisinger wrote:

> +      <entry name="toplevel" value="1" summary="surface is neither
> maximized, minizized or fullscreen"/>

Maybe "normal"? "toplevel" sounds like it is in the same layer as popup
notifiers.

> +    This event is sent in respons to set_maximized, set_minimized or
> +    set_fullscreen request to acknowledge the request. The client can
> update it
> +    own state if it wants to keep track of it.

No. The client *has* to assume the requests work. Echoing these will
just confuse clients and they will have to do tricks to distinguish
these from real requests from the shell. Similar to the ugly things X
clients have to do to distinguish real configure notifies from echoes.

And set_fullscreen and set_maximize already have a response, which is a
configure request for the size needed.

> +    The also compositor sends this event if itt wants the surface
> minimized or
> +    maximized. For example by clicking on a task list item or
> compositor key
> +    bindings for fullscreen.

Yes, this is what this event is for and should be it's only use.

I think you are imagining that the shell can do something before it
sends these events. It cannot, because only the client knows exactly
what effect these have. Only it knows if other surfaces should be
hidden, shown, raised, or resized. Only it knows the size of a toplevel
surface (imagine it was shown maximized first, so the shell has never
seen it un-maximized).

If a client ignores these events then nothing happens. The client is
mis-behaving but this is the way it has to be.