Compiling weston now needs colord

sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net
Thu May 30 00:42:23 PDT 2013

On 30/05/2013 08:24, Michael Hasselmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 22:16 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
>> Running autogen.sh in weston with --disable-colord works to avoid this,
>> I suspect nothing I care about is lost this way.
>
> I ran into the very same problems. I would have preferred if such new
> dependencies were optional or if someone would explain what we will miss
> if we disable them. For colord, trying to build the latest required
> version from git just pulls in more dependencies that you also have to
> build from git (as Bill mentioned).
>
> It's kind of frustrating, even if weston is meant to be a playground and
> thus new dependencies have to be expected.
>
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html should be updated I guess?
>
> ciao Michael

colord is an optional dependency: you just need to pass --disable-colord
to ./configure (or ./autogen.sh), and it is gone.

It is not an automagic dependency (which automatically detect the
package’s presence), because it is more work for the developer to add
the autotools logic to do so. Also, it is much more work to make
packagers happy (packagers hate automagic dependencies, it makes either
more work by patching or hard-dependency on optional features).

A little configure switch, and you are done, nothing to complain about. :-)

--

Quentin “Sardem FF7” Glidic