[RFC v2] surface crop & scale protocol extension

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:24:33 PST 2013

Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> Clients will always specify surface content in blocks of
> buffer_scale x buffer_scale pixels. That is how it was before, and
> that is how the crop & scale extension uses it.
>
> In other words, everything is still in surface coordinate units,
> just like before.

Yes I understand this.

IMHO this design is incorrect however. A client cannot take full
advantage of all possible surface sizes because they must be multiples
of the buffer scale.

In any case this really is a problem with the buffer_scale api. I think
it will be fixed once somebody tries to write a serious application that
takes advantage of a hi-res screen.