Can we enable sprites for drm-backend by default?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Nov 12 21:39:47 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM, wuzhiwen <zhiwen.wu at linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I am trying to enabling sprites for drm-backend on Intel Tizen IVI
>> platform
>> using Intel Gen Graphic, and found a commit (de37d67ac5a3d6, Fri Nov 2
>> 10:14:40 2012) which always disable sprites by setting "sprites_are_broken
>> =
>> 1". I just commented this line and enabled sprites for drm-backend, but I
>> am
>> not sure whether it is reliable. Is "nuclear pageflip", which makes the
>> sprites work reliably, landed in KMS? And can we enable sprites by
>> default?
>> Any comments are appreciated.
>

> Atomic pageflip and atomic modeset have not landed yet. Rob Clark was
> working on them at one point, but I don't know the current progress...

Yup, we're blocking on that kernel feature.  As it is, if you enable
sprites, as soon as the compositor puts a surface into a sprite, we
drop to max 30fps, since each drmModeSetPlane() takes two frames to
complete...

The sprites_are_broken flag isn't a joke...

Kristian