Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 16:47:20 PST 2013

On 11/16/2013 09:32 AM, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

> The first flag would be the compositor's preference as to whether the
> client  should decorate or not.  If 1, the server prefers that the
> client draws decorations; if 0, the server prefers to handle decorating
> itself.  The second flag would specify whether the first flag is strict
> or just a suggestion.  If 1, the client must do as specified in the
> first flag; if 0, it is only a suggestion and the client may do
> otherwise.

Adding an api so the client can tell the compositor whether it obeyed
the instructions sounds unnecessarily complicated, and also means the
compositor has to be ready for either case.

I think all that is necessary is that clients must obey the instructions
from the compositor.

And you are going to need flags at least for each of the 4 edges, and
furthermore for the "titlebar". You may also need flags for the shadows
on all 4 sides. For an obvious example "maximized" may want to turn off
the 4 edges but not the "titlebar".