Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Nov 17 22:27:29 PST 2013

On segunda-feira, 18 de novembro de 2013 06:37:47, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> That sounds look a good solution to me!

Make it simpler: all clients MUST be able to draw decorations. That's what
Wayland up until now requires anyway.

A client MAY ask the compositor to draw decorations. If and only if the
compositor replies that it will, the client is then not required to draw them.
The only compositor likely to even understand this extension is kwin: it will
reply "sure, I'll decorate" for any apps that request it. If necessary, the
request can include a suggestion level on how strongly the client wants the
compositor to do the decoration.

If the compositor does not reply to the extension, the application MUST
decorate itself (according to whatever rules are prevalent, including no
decorations for a tablet or mobile environment, etc.).

If the application does not request it, the compositor MUST NOT decorate the
windows -- it must assume the client is doing it properly. I'm guessing that
most toolkits will not request it and will not provide a way for applications
to do it either.