Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:31:15 PST 2013

Again this is excessively complicated.

The compositor in current weston can already tell the client to not draw
decorations. This indicator is combined with the "fullscreen" indicator
but the communication is already going this way.

So here is even simpler:

- All clients MUST be able to draw decorations

- The compositor, as part of configure events, can tell the client to
not draw decorations.

I think a lot of confusion is because of talk about SSD. This is a
reason for the compositor to tell the client to not draw decorations,
but not the only one. On modern systems the main reason is to support
fullscreen and maximized, both of which do not require SSD.