RFC: surface crop and scale protocol extension

Jonny Lamb jonny.lamb at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 28 03:52:15 PST 2013

Il giorno mar, 26/11/2013 alle 18.19 +0100, Jonny Lamb ha scritto:
> This is the initial version of the weston implementation of the
> wl_scaler protocol extension for surface cropping and scaling. It is
> based on the extension RFC version 3, written by Pekka Paalanen.

Some slightly different protocol designs have been proposed for surface
cropping and scaling, so with the idea of making the choice as easy as
possible I have prepared branches with the different ideas:

1. wl_scaler and wl_surface_scaler interfaces:

    This is the patchset I already posted to the list which adds the
    wl_scaler global object and wl_surface_scaler objects are
    created per surface:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jonny/weston/log/?h=scaler

    (The only difference between this branch and the patches sent to
    the list is the removal of the "open issues" section in the
    commit message of the commit that adds the protocol XML.)

2. set_buffer_viewport request on wl_surface:

    No more extra interfaces but a new request on wl_surface:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jonny/wayland/log/?h=scaler-alt
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jonny/weston/log/?h=scaler-alt

3. wl_scaler and wl_viewport interfaces:

    Exactly the same as the first proposal here but
    wl_surface_scaler renamed to wl_viewport:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jonny/weston/log/?h=scaler-viewport

Choices choices choices!
--
Jonny Lamb