Simple EGL Clients on latest Weston w/ Raspberry Pi backend - 'wayland-egl' package not found?

Nicholas Levin nglevin at vivarium.gs
Fri Nov 29 06:49:11 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to get the simple EGL clients up and running on Weston
for Raspberry Pi, based on the latest code in the Git repo for the
Wayland libraries and Weston.

With the generous guidance of Pekka Paalanen, I was able to get Weston
to build with --enable-egl and a special fork of the Broadcom userland
drivers ( via https://github.com/tomeuv/userland/tree/wayland ). I
largely followed the directions to install Weston on the Raspberry Pi (
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/raspberrypi.html ), with the major
exceptions of replacing --disable-egl with --enable-egl, and setting
$WLD to "/usr/local". Other bits included adding flags for linking
libraries and installing a few extra Raspbian packages, which I will not
cover for the time being.

With this build, I've been able to launch Weston as the root user on a
stock Raspbian image. Everything seems to work fine, as long as I'm the
root user.

Unfortunately, my luck runs out when I attempt to run this build with
--enable-simple-egl-clients. Here, the configuration stage for Weston
fails with the following output;

[...]
checking for COMPOSITOR... yes
checking for WAYLAND_COMPOSITOR... no
configure: error: Package requirements (wayland-client wayland-egl
wayland-cursor) were not met:

No package 'wayland-egl' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
WAYLAND_COMPOSITOR_CFLAGS
and WAYLAND_COMPOSITOR_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

To clarify, I have PKG_CONFIG_PATH set to
"/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/usr/local/share/pkgconfig/".

/usr/local/share/pkgconfig has bcm_host.pc, egl.pc, glesv2.pc and
wayland-scanner.pc .

/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig has wayland-client.pc, wayland-cursor.pc,
wayland-server.pc and weston.pc, among other packages that aren't
related to wayland/weston. weston.pc came from from the previous build
with --enable-egl and --disable-simple-egl-clients set. The packages
that didn't relate to wayland/weston are glfw3.pc and libevdev.pc, both
libraries that I have installed in the past.

How might I go about building wayland-egl.pc on the Raspberry Pi?

Thank you for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Nicholas Levin