[RFC] wl_surface video protocol extension

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 13:56:53 CEST 2013

> > There are various artifacts that appear as a result of frame rate
> adaption.
> > One of these is field dominance. This is where the top field is displayed
> > for longer than the bottom field. This results in the appearance of
> > flickering lines to the viewer.
> > If you could determine how long the top field was presented to the user,
> > you could maybe make adjustments to make the bottom field appear for a
> > similar amount of time.
>
> Ok, you want to know how long a frame (buffer) has been on.
> Presentation timestamp tells you when the frame started to show, so
> maybe you could use the presentation timestamp of the next frame as the
> ending timestamp for this frame?
>
> Btw. would you need to know or set the scanout "phase" of top vs. bottom
> field for each frame on an interlaced display and video?

On an interlaced display, we would need to make sure we can ensure the
phase is correct. I.e. the top field from the media goes into the top field
of the scanout.
So, I guess the answer is yes. But, I would hope that we could send the
full frame, containing a top and bottom field and the hardware ensure it
goes to the correct top/bottom scanout.

> > So, I would propose the following.
> > 1) sequence number the frames at the display rate.
> > 2) provide an api for the application to predict the time of each frame
> > number in the sequence. I.e The next 5 frames will display at time
> > X1,X2,X3,X4,X5. Also provide a way to determine the "frame submited to
> > frame displayed" latency. So the user application knows how many frames
> in
> > advance it needs to do the submit.
> > 3) provide an api for the application to ensure that a frame it submits
> > will get displayed at display rate sequence number X.
> > 4) If frame X has already past, only display it if there are now newer
> > frames in the quene, otherwise drop it.
>
> To me, all that sounds like a library API of somewhat higher level than
> display server protocol. We just need to make sure the protocol has
> everything to support such a library.
>
> I think item 4 is already implied in the protocol.
>
> Also, monitor refresh rates may change, which is why I think a
> timestamp is better in the protocol than a sequence number tied to a
> refresh rate. Another thing missing in the protocol sketch is an event
> notifying the client about current output refresh rate changes.

> > very useful, what is useful is predicting exactly when the frame will
> > actually be displayed to the user.
>
> I hope the three timestamps would allow you to estimate everything you
> need:
> - when you queued a buffer (sent the request)
> - the timestamp you asked the buffer to be presented at
> - the timestamp the buffer really was presented
>
> Plus of course the same for the next buffer, so you know e.g. how long
> a buffer was on screen etc.
>
> How does that sound?

So, the information you propose, with timestamps, gives us timestamps from
events in the past.
Is there any way to deterministically ensure that a particular frame is
displayed at a particular scanout that we would decide on in advance.
The problem is, if I timestamp a frame for time X and the scan out actually
happens as time X - 1 microsecond, I really wanted not to miss that scanout.
It would be easier to be able to specify a particular scanout.

Thanks,