[RFC] wl_surface video protocol extension

Axel Davy davy at clipper.ens.fr
Mon Oct 21 16:39:59 CEST 2013

I think the simpler is to have a similar functionalities to the X
Present extension:

git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/presentproto master

We can ask a buffer to be shown at a specific ust time, and we get the
feedback at which ust
time it has hit the screen. And we could queue buffers.

It looks quite sane to me, and doing the same would help writing the
support to the X Present extension.

It solves the problem you mentions, James Courtier-Dutton, since a Video
Player that doesn't get their buffers back and know they didn't hit the
screen, will understand it has to suspend, and will resume when it gets
the feedbacks.

Axel Davy