[RFC] wl_surface video protocol extension

Frederic Plourde frederic.plourde at collabora.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 16:50:05 CEST 2013

On 13-10-18 05:59 PM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> We would also need the API to be compatible with "G-Sync".
>
> http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Announces-G-Sync-Variable-Refresh-Rate-Monitor-Technology

 From my understanding of GSYNC, the monitor refresh rate will be
completely slaved to the GPU rendering (frame) rate. No need to
wait/sync on vblanks, as the monitor will scanout the buffer when it
ready (presented). I will start thinking about implications this could
have on the protocol we're devising atm, but I guess all in all, GSYN
will just going to make everything even simpler.. tho I'm not sure it'd
change anything protocol-wise.

cheers...