Buffer release events (was: Add support for eglSwapInterval)

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Oct 24 18:27:05 PDT 2013

This is mostly a recap of the discussion between Neil and myself on IRC
this morning.

I think a client can guarantee that it gets all of the buffer releases by
simply calling wl_display.sync after the attach/damage/commit.  It can even
delete the wl_callback object immediately without attaching a listener.
What follows is a revised version of the proof of this I gave on IRC this
morning.

In order for this to work, we need to make the assumption that the backend
holds at most N references to the buffer.  I will discuss the nature of
this number N later.  For the DRM backend with one output, N = 2.  Built
into this assumption is that if the backend already has N references it
will not take another one without releasing one of the ones it already has.

Seeing that this always works comes down to observing that at any given
time we either have enough free buffers or the sync event will flush out at
least one release event.  Most of the time attach/commit will result in a
release on the previously attached buffer.  If it does, the release event
will get queued and the sync event will flush the queue.  The two cases in
which it does not release the previously attached buffer directly are if
the buffer has already been released in compositor_accumulate_damage or if
it has been referenced by the backend.  In the first case the release
happened before attach/commit, so it will be received before the sync
event.  In the second case, the backend has either referenced less than N
buffers and the client has extra free buffers or the backend had to release
a buffer before it could reference a new one.  This release must have been
queued before the attach/commit so it will get flushed by the sync.

Given that we know the number N associated with the backend, a client can
continuously render with as few as N+2 buffers (or N+3 for subsurfaces).
It needs N for the backend, one to be currently attached and one to
render.  If it is part of a subsurface that is in "synced" mode, there may
be an additional reference tied up in the commit cache.  It's worth noting
that using N+2 buffers does require a full-blown roundtrip after
attach/commit.  However, given that you are probably doing SwapInterval(0)
in this case and running the GPU hard, that shouldn't be a bottlekneck.

Now a note about this number N.  In the DRM backend with a single output, N
= 2.  For a fullscreen surface, one buffer is used for scanout and the
other is tied up in the queued pageflip (which can't be canceled).  The DRM
backend will only take a reference to the currently attached buffer if it
is going to queue it for the next pageflip.  However, this implies that a
pageflip has happened, freeing the previous scanout buffer.  There may be a
subtle issue here if the surface is displayed fullscreen on multiple
outputs.  Mmy knowledge of DRM is a bit lacking here, but it seems like you
could end up with 2 buffers tied up for each output.  Perhaps we should
look into synchronizing pageflips in some way so we use less buffers?

Thanks,
--Jason Ekstrand