[RFC] wl_surface video protocol extension

Axel Davy davy at clipper.ens.fr
Mon Oct 28 16:47:57 CET 2013

On 28/10/2013, Frederic Plourde wrote :
> I don't know about current/future driver support for this new GSYNC
> technology... but you know what, I definitely agree with Pekka as we
> should get this protocol and basic buffer queuing implementation
> reviewd and working for the general case for now and add HW-specific
> extensions later.

I agree that we must come up with a working protocol soon, but I do not
agree the one proposed was the best one.

I would prefer the current wl_surface interface to be extended that a
new one created.
Adding a new interface is not the best performance-wise, and I see no
reason why we would seperate these features
from wl_surface.

For programers having to cope with X and Wayland, and to better support
the Present extension, I reiterate my suggestion
to do something similar to the X Present extension.

Axel