How to check if OpenGL is supported?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:45:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:13:32 +1000
Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:06:55 +1000
> > Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I'm interested to get Blender (OpenGL 3d graphics application)
> >> running with wayland/weston.
> >>
> >> However I cant tell if my configuration can even run simple OpenGL
> >> applications (the more recent weston for arch-linux 1.2.2 has no
> >> "weston-gears").
> >>
> >> Whats a good way to see if loading opengl/egl applications is
> >> supported?
> >>
> >> Some more info in case it helps.
> >> ----
> >>
> >> A while back I managed to run weston but no opengl applications
> >> would work (weston-gears for example didn't start but weston-smoke
> >> did, It gave some error about not being able to setup EGL).
> >> I spent some time trying to get this running but I think it simply
> >> wasn't supported by proprietary-nvidia & mesa configuration.
> >>
> >> More recently I tried again with a newer weston but now I cant find
> >> weston-gears so not sure how to test.
> >>
> >> There is a git repo that Wander Costa has been working on, but its
> >> crashing on my system (opengl context fails to initialize).
> >> https://github.com/walac/blender-wayland
> >>
> >> So I want to know if this is a bug in the code or just a limitation
> >> with my configuration.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > if you are still on proprietary Nvidia GeForce drivers, then
> > Wayland GL applications have no chances of working at all.
> >
> > The basic test for openGL support (well, GLES 2.0 really, but it
> > doesn't matter which flavour of GL you test) is the
> > (weston-)simple-egl program from the Weston repository.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > pq
>
> Strange, weston-simple-egl works,
>
> It prints output about EGL, linked.
> http://www.pasteall.org/45482
>
> But I'm not sure if this is using similar enough features to Blender
> that the OpenGL context is comparable (Blender uses full OpenGL but
> has an EGL option to support opening a window for wayland support).

Your paste of the Weston log says it is using a software GL
implementation of Mesa: llvmpipe. IOW, that is not using your GPU.

I should have been more accurate: of course software GL implementations
have a chance of working, and it's nice to see it actually does work at
least that much. :-)

But I assume software GL was not what you were looking for, right?