[RFC weston] Views: Should we have a concept of "primary"?

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Sep 19 07:56:07 PDT 2013

Bill,
Sorry for not responding sooner.  It kind of got lost in the pile.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't buffers already be shared between surfaces? I don't understand what
> problem or solution views are trying to address.

Yes, they can.  However, views have nothing whatsoever to do with the
protocol and are entirely a weston scenegraph thing.  Clients should be
completely unaware of them.

  Currently weston's scenegraph ties the geometry information (location on
screen, rotation, etc.) to the surface so a surface can only be in one
location at a time.  This makes it impossible to implement window previews
for things like mini desktops and switchers.  It is also a problem for my
fullscreen shell implementation (it has to be able to clone things).  Views
simply splits this information apart in the scenegraph so the scenegrapn
can contain any number of views which actually correspond to the exact same
surface data.

Thanks,
--Jason Ekstrand