[RFC weston] Views: Should we have a concept of "primary"?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:58:53 PDT 2013

Having now understood what a "view" is, I don't think there should be a
"primary view". This is because it looks like there can be zero views
for a surface (ie if it is clipped by all the outputs or the compositor
otherwise decides to hide it). So there will be instances when you
cannot retrieve information.

The client is not supposed to know about views, so a transform should be
stored in the surface. Whether or not that surface has a view using the
same transform is up to the compositor.

Transient children are EXACTLY the same as subsurfaces, except the
compositor is allowed to place other surfaces between the child and
parent. Because of this a transient surface should probably create the
same number of views as the parent has, since this is obviously correct
for subsurfaces. Thumbnails may clip both transients and subsurfaces to
the parent's area, though.

 From what little I have done with sync playback of video/audio, I think
clients will want the frame callback for the "primary" output, no matter
what output (including none) the surface is on. The buffer release is
what will depend on the sync of each output.