[RFC DRAFT] graphics tablet protocol extension

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:41:50 PDT 2013

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Thanks for testing this. I'm currently tempted to have the pad buttons
> (that's the terminology we use in the xorg wacom driver, so let's use it
> here too) should have a separate focus, and a separate event. so the
> interface expands to:
>
> wl_tablet::proximity in
>          ::proximity out
>          ::button
>          ::focus in
>          ::focus out
>          ::padbutton
>
> where padbuttons always go to the focused surface. it is then up to the
> compositor to implement the actual focus behaviour. it also makes it easy
> for the client to distinguish between stylus buttons and pad buttons.

Not sure I understand. I think I agree with your description of how it
works, but I feel it is sufficient for the pad buttons always go to the
same surface that the pen clicks go to. Do you just mean that the pen
has a different focus than the mouse? Or are you really proposing the
the pad buttons may go to a different surface than pen clicks?