weston-launch 1.2.2: could not open tty0: Permission denied

Christophe Jarry christophe.jarry at ouvaton.org
Sat Sep 28 13:25:47 PDT 2013

Hello,

I built wayland according to the instructions on
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html except that I used wayland 1.2.1
and weston 1.2.2 instead of git versions. Moreover I configured them thus:

Wayland:

    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --disable-documentation

Weston:

    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --disable-setuid-install

I run weston-launch as a normal user, member of the weston-launch group. I
obtain the following error message:

    weston-launch: could not open tty0: Permission denied

If I run weston-launch as root, I have a different message:

    failed to start pam transaction: 26: Critical error - immediate abort

Is weston supposed to work with setuid install disabled?

Thanks,

Christophe