Unable to get display socket wayland-0 in Arch Linux

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Apr 6 07:48:07 PDT 2014

On 04/06/2014 03:02 PM, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to get a Wayland only display server running on my Arch
> guest installations (32 + 64bit) in Virtualbox.  Using strace, I found
> it seems to be having a problem creating the wayland display socket.  I
> manged to create a socket using socat, if I remember right, working from
> ssh.  From strace, that seems to get past the socket creation issue, but
> then progress just stops and I end up with a blank screen only.
>
> I've asked on the Arch forum for some help a while ago, but didn't get
> much feedback so I'm now stuck.  Here's my post:
>
>     https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177123
>
> Can anyone advise me:
>
> 1)  Whether there has been any problem with creation of a wayland
> display socket, and if not, what can I do to get the display socket
> creation working on both installations?
>
> 2)  Whether the next thing that should happen after the blank screen is
> that weston.ini gets called?
>
> I've been trying this for months now, and updated my Arch VMs every time
> I try, with no success.
>
> Thanks for any help..

I've looked at the thread and first thing you are doing wrong is using
virtualbox and (default) drm backend. Second thing you are doing wrong
is manually setting WAYLAND_DISPLAY. Don't do that, weston will set it
accordingly.

The trick is, vbox has proprietary non-KMS graphics stack that doesn't
have EGL so you can't use default weston backend. You can however use
fbdev backend if I recall correctly.

weston-launch -- --backend=fbdev-backend.so

Don't forget the two "--", they should be there. To make it permanent
edit weston.ini. See man weston.ini for more info. Cheers.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.