[Question] Z-order management in Wayland

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 00:20:18 PDT 2014

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 01:20:32 -0700 (PDT)
yan.wang at linux.intel.com wrote:

> Yes. I also think so. But we may need the comments of Wayland maintainer
> about this design because it need change the compositor logic.

Already if a surface is not part of any output's repaint (i.e. is not
on any layer that is part of repaint), the frame callbacks will not be
sent.

So if you can put the surface on a layer that is not going for repaint,
it should already work. No changes in Weston core needed.

Then the apps need to realize they are not getting frame callbacks, and
do the necessary clean-ups, if simply stopping repaint is not enough.