[Interest] qt5 window setGeometry and move not work in wayland platform

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Aug 11 16:06:24 PDT 2014

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:05:42 -0400 "Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre at mecheye.net>
said:

> Rotated windows are not the only reason, but they do contribute. The
> ability to do an arbitrary transformation on the window is a very useful
> feature, for e.g. HiDPI support, and we'd like to expose as little data to
> the client as possible so we can enable better use cases.
>
> The client cannot get or set any transformations on its windows. And it
> will never be able to, as long as Kristian, Pekka, Jason, and I are writing
> the protocols and the code.

totally agree with you on this. there is a danger though. other wl compositors
may add it as an extension of their own and then one toolkit breaks rank and
uses/needs it and before you know it - all toolkits do this and you have a
problem on our hands.

the best is education - for developers and toolkit devs. why manual absolute
positioning is bad. (your hidpi example is a good one- auto scale "lo dpi" apps
up to 2x2 size or whatever).