[Help]Question about graphics architecture for weson/wayland

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 23:34:50 PDT 2014

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 01:46:15 -0400
"Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Yang Andy <williamyang13 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Pekka
> >
> > Thank you very much for your reply.

> > > No, you can choose e.g. the fbdev backend for Weston, and so Weston
> > > will run on the /dev/fb, software rendered. No GPU used there in that
> > > sense. Software rendering also means that no application under Weston
> > > can use the GPU for rendering windows.
> >
> > If i choose fbdev backend for weston,can i use EFL/Evas and EGL/OpenGL for
> > draw graphics?
> >
> I mean that EGL/OpenGL which implement Software rendering.
> >

> I don't think you can use the fbdev backend with EGL. Somebody could
> attempt to try to make that work, but bringing up DRM/KMS on your platform
> would be a much better choice of your time.

Actually I think you can, if you can find a software GL implementation
that is hooked up in EGL with Wayland using wl_shm. The only one I know
so far that should support it is Mesa with egl_gallium.so using any of
the Gallium3D software renderers.

But yeah, it's usually a waste of time, especially at runtime.