The road to Wayland/Weston 1.6 and 1.5.1

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Aug 19 04:50:55 PDT 2014

Hi,

On 18 August 2014 13:14, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:57:37 +0300
> Giulio Camuffo <giuliocamuffo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > had these patches which I'd like to see going in:
> >
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
>
> This one looks pretty simple, and I can confirm the problem with
> CapsLock, so yes, I'd like to take this. Could you rebase it?

This is a good start, yes. It's either that or go through the keymap state
trying to work out the modifier state to accompany the LEDs, which is
doable but a bit fiddly.

> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
> >
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html
>
> Of these two, the first needs the second to be used at all, right? The
> follow-up comment is true, I would not want NumLock be on by default on
> my laptop, so I think this needs more work, like you have identified.

Yes, definitely not on by default please. As for the second patch, I'm a
little hesitant to add it to X11 in particular: why should we be telling
the host server what the modifier state for the entire session (which is
larger than the nested compositor) should be?

evdev requires LEDs to be driven because in that situation, we are the
lowest-level input consumer, and thus calculate our own state (i.e. call
xkb_state_update_key). In nested environments (compositor-{x11,wayland}),
we never calculate our own state, but receive the state from the host
display server. If the host display server isn't keeping the state sent to
its clients in sync with the state of its input devices, then that's a bug.

(tl;dr: NAK)

Cheers,
Daniel