Wayland and Weston 1.6 alpha snapshot (1.5.91)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Aug 26 02:36:58 PDT 2014

Hi,

On 23 August 2014 15:38, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:51:19 -0700
> Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Just before this alpha release, we bumped the xdg-shell experimental
> > > version[1]. This means that the world breaks, as the experimental
> > > version must be matched exactly. Jasper will be bumping Mutter and Gtk
> > > to match. We expect to have another bump before 1.6.0 is out, but after
> > > that I think it will be solid.
> > >
> > > Then, in 1.7.0 we plan to move the xdg-shell.xml file into Wayland, to
> > > be installed as a stable protocol for everyone to use, and projects can
> > > throw away their private copies of xdg-shell.xml. That would be the
> > > point where xdg-shell starts to guarantee backwards compatibility. The
> > > 1.7.0 release should be the last flag day for xdg-shell.
> >
> > One small note here.  Even if we don't make any changes to xdg_shell
> > between 1.6 and 1.7, the universe will break again at 1.7.  This is
> because
> > we'll pull the experimental_version request which changes the order of
> > things.  Do we have a plan for how to keep this from going too badly?
>
> Well, yeah, that is what I meant by a flag day, the world breaks,
> but that should be the final one.
>
> Or do you think we should leave the experimental_version request
> in, and just document it is no longer used, and make all code work
> with it but ignore it? That would seem a bit strange to me.

How about the following as a happy compromise:
  - bump the extension version from 1 to 2
  - require set_experimental_version for clients binding v1
  - assume an implicit experimental_version of 4 for clients binding v2,
accepting but not requiring set_experimental_version == 4

That avoids breaking existing clients regardless of which version they
bind, but also means people hitting the new stable API don't have to bother
with it. It would be nice if v1 was the stable API, and v0 was
unstable/development, but alas the scanner won't let us do that ...

Cheers,
Daniel