libinput without udev

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Dec 7 15:09:33 PST 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 06:31:32PM +0000, almindor at gmail.com wrote:
> I am currently looking into porting libinput for freebsd by making mtdev
> optional and abstracting epoll so it can be nicely replaced with kqueue.

one question regarding mtdev: it has no dependencies outside of
linux/input.h which you need for evdev anyway in libinput. so wouldn't it be
easier to ship mtdev rather than patching around it?

> Having a basic abstraction on top of the udev functionality would be
> useful for me too since i could replace it with devd.

compiling out libudev in its current form is a no-go, it needs more work
than that. udev is now a lot deeper integrated than just in the public API.
look at evdev.c to see how we're using the udev_device there. specifically,
we use it to avoid race conditions when devices disappear and re-appear with
the same device node.

that said, while it's fairly deeply integrated we only use a handful of
calls. so you could figure out either how to do a fake libudev that wraps
those few calls on BSD or a simple and clean abstraction within libinput
that you can wrap it some other way. I'm obviously in favour of the
former :)

Cheers,
   Peter