Where should project Weston go?

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 01:29:42 PST 2014

> On 9.12.2014 1:26, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>
>> But I imagine 'minimal' is intended here in more of an engineering
>> sense, and interpret it myself to mean something like: Focuses on
>> principle features not superfluous stuff better handled by other
>> projects; doesn't overengineer algorithms to squeeze a few drops of
>> performance; feature selection by what fits nicely and makes sense, not
>

> I would like to ask, what/where are those "other projects". As long as there
> are no such projects, weston is the one used and also the metrics to judge
> overall project in terms of quality and performance.

Well, GNOME for example. But there is also Enlightement, KDE, Hawaii,
Orbital, Maynard,..
You can say none of those are there yet, but they already provide a
better desktop experience than weston.

>> I've noticed over the years, that I can say until I'm blue in the face
>> that "Wayland is just a protocol, Weston is just a reference
>> implementation, and you need to look at desktop environments to provide
>> Wayland compositors;" but people still keep asking me, "Okay, but when
>> can I ditch X and just use Wayland as my desktop?"
>

> If it wants to be just protocol and reference implementation, Documentation
> needs to improve vastly. At the current level of documentation and
> ease-of-use for example of libwayland, I'm not holding my breath waiting to
> see anything product quality built ground-up based on what Wayland project
> produces.

I think you're being unfair here. Documentation is lacking, but i
don't find libwayland hard to use at all. If we compare it to xlib or
xcb, i find it much easier to use and more documented. Yet that didn't
stop anyone from building X DEs.
Besides, i would argue that the weston compositor (not the shell, just
the compositor) is already product quality.