Where should project Weston go?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Wed Dec 10 12:36:19 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 04:00:43PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> A platform that people can develop
> desktop environments on? Sure! I guess a lot of those would be fine as
> Weston plugins, though ultimately we'd need something like libweston to
> make that workable. My biggest problem with libweston as it stands is that
> I think it stands to repeat the X.Org 'API' disaster: just copying all your
> header files into a directory somewhere and installing a library isn't an
> API. I'd like to have a much more serious look at what we expose, how, and
> why.
>
> That would be quite a bit of work, but I think far more valuable if it
> allows us to get rid of large swathes of desktop-shell.

I think this is a really good point.  If we're going to be supporting
libweston's API as a stable interface, then it deserves going over the
interface (and overall scope) with a fine toothed comb before other
projects start using it.

Also, changing the library name will be harder once the effort becomes
public, so would be worth considering if "libweston" is the best name.

Bryce