[RFC] libinput configuration interface

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Feb 2 17:02:42 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 08:26:54PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> [...]
> > * {set|get|reset|has}_tap_single_finger_button
> > * tap_double_finger_button
> > * tap_triple_finger_button
> > * click_finger_single
> > * click_finger_double
> > * click_finger_triple
> > * twofinger_scroll_vertical
> > * twofinger_scroll_horizonal
> > * edge_scroll_vertical
> > * edge_scroll_horizontal
> > * disable_while_typing
> > * disable_touch (while pen is in use)
> >   these two could be merged into "disable while linked device is in use"
> > * softbutton_left
> > * softbutton_middle
> > * softbutton_right
> > * emulate_middle_button
> > * button_mapping
> > * emulate_wheel
> > * rotation
> > * palm_detection
> > * mode (relative/absolute)
> > * valid_area
> >   This is needed on tablets that have a different ratio than the monitor.
> >   Mapping them to the monitor results in uneven x/y movements, so the
> >   easiest approach here is to cut a portion of the tablet off to match the
> >   ratio.
> > * stylus_button_behaviour(some enum)
> >   Some tablets don't report proximity, the only way to get a right-button
> >   click is to hold the right button down and then tip with the stylus.
> >
> > Note that the above is not a 1:1 API mapping, e.g. tapping configuration
> > could be an API taking nfingers as argument as opposed to 3 different calls.
> > Likewise, they can take more than one value argument, e.g. middle button
> > emulation could take a boolean to enable it, and a timeout.
> >
> > This list excludes options we currently have in the X drivers to adjust for
> > hw-specific quirks. Such as defining which pressure makes up a tap, etc. I
> > really hope this is something we can work out based on the device.
> >
> > It also excludes configurations that I'd really like to hide away if
> > possible. For example, on the new T440-style touchpads the top part of it is
> > a set of buttons for the trackstick. There's nothing to be configured about
> > this, it should just work.
> >
> > Comments? Does this sound sane enough? Anything important I've missed?
>
> You missed our disagreement from August about whether finger movement in the
> softbutton area should move the pointer (I suggested that it shouldn't, you
> suggested that it should, and both of us had valid arguments, so it needs to
> be configurable). Also it was not clearly articulated then, but still, a
> potential disagreement/configuration point: what to do on a one-button clickpad
> if a hardware button reports that it is clicked, but there is no finger in any
> softbutton area (i.e. a clickpad is clicked outside of the designated
> softbutton area)? Possible options: ignore the apparently-false click (would
> be my preference), treat this as left click (current situation with the
> synaptics driver, and I guess some people would prefer this).

tbh, I'm not planning to support every potential option under the sun.
There's a fine and rather blurry line between what is a preference and what
is merely configuration because we can't commit to a single default. I'd
rather have less configuration options and support those well and do the
synaptics approach of supporting everything but being quite bad at how the
various options interact.

To extend this thought, even the list above is probably too detailed.
IMO tapping should just be a left, right, middle configuration for 1, 2, 3
fingers. Enabling/disabling tapping is a valid configuration but custom
button mapping is excessive (clickfinger is the same).
Likewise, there should be only one scroll method at a time, and one option
to enable horizontal for that scroll method - no two-finger vertical and
edge-horizontal scrolling.

As for the softbuttons config items, I'm somewhat leaning towards finger
movement in the button areas, but no clicks outside the button area. And to
actually trigger a button, you need to start inside the button area - which
becomes easier when you have proper finger tracking (synaptics currently
doesn't). I found that a very decent way to use the trackpad.

> Also I don't see how the suggested interface covers the ChromeBook-style
> clickpad configuration where there should be no softbuttons and the only way to
> right-click is to use two fingers.

I think that's a good example of machine-specific configuration that we can
hide away. we already do something similar in the synaptics driver where we
don't initialize software buttons for macbooks because they're not designed
for that approach. if the chromebooks are similar, restricting it to tapping
only seems like a sensible approach.

Cheers,
   Peter